Date: 2017-08-04 02:58 pm (UTC)
glaurung_quena: (Default)
From: [personal profile] glaurung_quena
And this, children, is why you must always strip DRM right away from everything you buy online.

Date: 2017-08-04 06:54 pm (UTC)
heron61: (Default)
From: [personal profile] heron61
That was in fact going to be my exact response.

Date: 2017-08-04 04:33 pm (UTC)
magedragonfire: (Default)
From: [personal profile] magedragonfire
So, if I'm reading this correctly, this only applies to PDFs purchased from Kobo's store? Not as bad as it could be, but an interesting change nonetheless. I can't imagine that they would strip out PDF functionality entirely; that just seems like a poor decision all around.

From the link: For 99% of home/home office computer users, copies of documents in the cloud are probably much safer than they are when stored on a local hard drive. (The other 1% should remember to take their OCD medications.) - I resemble that last remark.

Date: 2017-08-04 06:30 pm (UTC)
metahacker: Grumpy-looking red cartoon face (grumpy)
From: [personal profile] metahacker
Wow, that parenthetical.

Date: 2017-08-08 06:02 pm (UTC)
magedragonfire: (Default)
From: [personal profile] magedragonfire
Yeah, it's something else, innit?

I do not trust the cloud's ability to remain accessible at all times a) from wherever I am and b) without sudden paywall increases. My data is safer with me. None of that has anything to do with an OCD diagnosis, and I am more than a little confused as to why the author felt the need to connect the two.
Edited Date: 2017-08-08 06:03 pm (UTC)

Date: 2017-08-08 07:52 pm (UTC)
metahacker: A cartoonish walky-talkie is jabbering angrily (angry box)
From: [personal profile] metahacker
Yeah. They got stuck thinking about how hard it is for a human to have a reliable and up-to-date backup system, and to maintain availability...from the server side, because they're scored on "how many 9s" (99.999...%) of reliability they have.

This completely ignores the customer's viewpoint, as your comment points out. Server reliability isn't the same as "I can get to my stuff when I want".

The completely unneeded jab at OCD is just icing on the cake of empathic failure.

Date: 2017-08-12 03:08 am (UTC)
scott_sanford: (Default)
From: [personal profile] scott_sanford
It would be interesting to see reliability numbers based not just on server-side reliability, or even internet-connection-to-home-user reliability, but instead on the total user service reliability including corporate, legal, or financial failures.

Date: 2017-08-04 05:27 pm (UTC)
From: (Anonymous)
The comment about PDFs taking a lot of space seems odd, if I was building their system there'd be one copy on the server with an authentication/authorisation wrapper letting buyers download it. The wrapper would be identical for all formats and if they're worried about the size of a single PDF file...

Date: 2017-08-04 11:24 pm (UTC)
wild_patience: (Default)
From: [personal profile] wild_patience
I originally had a Sony ereader, which I loved until they sold their ebook division to Kobo. I did not like Kobo so I went to Kindle. Now I do most of my reading on my iPad, but still use my Kindle, too. (The Sony's been powered down for a couple of years.)

Profile

james_davis_nicoll: (Default)
james_davis_nicoll

October 2017

S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22232425262728
293031    

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 23rd, 2017 04:26 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios